Monday, December 26, 2005

One Year ago today

One year ago today, more than 216,000 people were killed in 12 countries in one of the worst natural disasters we can remember...the tsunamis in the Indian Ocean. I remember when that happened I sat numb watching the news, trying to comprehend what had happened...what it must be like, and what the survivors felt seeing their world destroyed. When, three months ago I was able to see first-hand what it looked like in New Orleans, all those memories from last year came back. But in the midst of the desolation that had been part of New Orleans, the Indian Ocean wasn't a remote event anymore. I'd felt guilty that I'd been able to carry on my life a year ago and, for the most part, put the disaster in the Indian Ocean out of my mind. But the day I pulled my car off the road on Claiborne Avenue and finally cried...it was not just for New Orleans, but for those 216,000 people that lost their lives...and the millions more who lost their world, one year ago today.

1 Comments:

At Monday, December 26, 2005 8:10:00 AM, Blogger Claire said...

Good luck with the blog! Best wishes to you and yours for a happy and healthy year to come.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home