Sunday, January 15, 2006

Renting in New Orleans Post-Katrina

The rental situation in New Orleans is in such a state of flux right now. So much of the city has been devastated, and apartments and houses are unhinhabitable. In some areas, there are a few habitable houses in some blocks, but the restoration of utilities is very sketchy. The neighborhoods such as the French Quarter, Uptown, and the Garden Districts are the only areas where most homes are liveable. These were already some of the highest rentals in New Orleans pre-Katrina. So even if rental prices hadn't changed, many of the people who wish to come back to the city couldn't afford these places. Students, laborers, hospitality workers, etc. can't afford these rents.

But rentals are skyrocketing in all areas now. I don't believe that's going to stay that way. In fact, I'm worried what will happen in a few months. Right now, apartments are scarce and so many of them are occupied by FEMA workers...who pay whatever rates are being asked. Because there's high demand right now, with a large number of people who'll pay those rents, landlords are charging more. That's natural, and property owners are trying to recoup losses. But some rents are ridiculously high. There are landlords who are really trying to take advantage.

Robin, a displaced resident looking for a place to return to, and lamenting the lack of inclusion of photos of available places, wrote the following ad on Craig's List. I think it eloquently sums up what many people are feeling:

Try to remember that alot of us who are reading these ads are still out of town and can't zip by for a quick look to see what shape your property is truthfully in, or what shape the neighborhood is in. Even a PRE Katrina picture is better than no pics at all, so long as you are candid about it's current condition.

BTW- I would rent from someone with damaged, but functional/safe property, if it has reasonable rent A LOT faster than I would rent to someone with inflated rent (condition surprises, or no). After all, I'm sympathetic to the situation we are all in.

BUT... I personally am not stupid, thank you, and I'm not into being taken advantage of right now. I know you have costs to recover, but that isn't my responsibility just because I want to rent from you.

I don't own the property, you do. (Besides, I have my own problems with FEMA, and my insurance company, and my personal losses etc., without being asked to compensate for yours.)
I CAN pay my rent, and I AM willing to work hard to do it. Isn't that the type of tenant you want?

What I AM into though, is staying in the house for a long time, being a reliable renter, helping to revitalize both your place, and my neighbors' place, and contributing to the wellness of New Orleans.

PLUS, I think I represent alot of the renters out here who want to come home, but are unable to see pictures of what's available, or are running up against these unrealistic rents. We have to make decisions out here in these cities too, in the meantime, and it's a really tough spot to be in. I'd rather see my money going back into New Orleans' economy myself.

What kind of tenant do you REALLY want? It's not all about money you know. Sooner or later, that won't be enough.

A tenant who can genuinely afford the rents I'm seeing in here, at some point, is going to look around themselves, and say, "Hey, I can pay for better", and they WILL leave.

Remember, the shock is wearing off out here. We are thinking more clearly now. You aren't the only property holder in town.

(Oh, and if any of you are, or suspect you soon will be sued for the wrongful eviction of a previous tenant, in order to ask the rent you are asking here, I will find out before paying you, (background checks fly both ways now), so you may as well be candid about that in your ad too.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home